The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), with other NIH Institutes, Centers, and Offices, will reissue a funding opportunity announcement to solicit applications for the HEAL Initiative’s Pragmatic and Implementation Studies for the Management of Pain to Reduce Opioid Prescribing (PRISM) program. The NCCIH published its notice of intent to reissue the PRISM announcement to allow potential applicants time to develop proposals responsive to the funding opportunity. The reissuance is expected by January 30.
- RFA-AT-19-004 – HEAL Initiative: Pragmatic and Implementation Studies for the Management of Pain to Reduce Opioid Prescribing (PRISM) (UG3/UH3 Clinical Trial Optional): The expected due date for applications in response to this announcement is March 30, 2020.
The NCCIH will host a pre-application webinar on March 2 to provide an overview of the PRISM funding opportunity and to address questions from potential applicants. The webinar is optional and not required for application submission.
The PRISM funding opportunity will prioritize pragmatic trials embedded in healthcare systems, with focus in the following areas:
- pain management in emergency departments, dental clinics, primary care, and hospitals
- chronic overlapping pain conditions
- pain management in individuals at risk of or with opioid use disorder
- pain management in those with co-occurring mental health disorders
- noncancer pain management in persons with medical comorbid conditions
PRISM is part of the HEAL Initiative, which was created in April 2018 to speed scientific solutions for addressing the national opioid crisis.