Renee Mitchell, MT(ASCP), CLS(NCA)
Boston Scientific Corporation, Inc.
Terrie Reed, MSIE
Senior Advisor for UDI Adoption
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Roseann White, MA
Director of Innovative Clinical Trial Statistics
Duke Clinical Research Institute
MDEpiNet RAPID and SPEED Projects: Leveraging Real World Evidence to Get Better, Faster, Cheaper Medical Devices for Physicians and Patients
Medical devices; Real-world evidence; Medical Device Epidemiology Network; MDEpiNet; Unique device identifier; UDI
- In partnership, clinicians, device developers, and FDA can benefit from the use of real-world evidence on medical devices:
- Clinicians can contribute to the generation of real-world evidence.
- Device manufacturers can use real-world evidence to evaluate and release new devices and expand indications.
- Regulatory bodies can increase the use of patient-level data for device approval.
- Unique device identifiers (UDIs) make it possible to follow medical devices longitudinally, advancing the quality of real-world evidence and allowing more sophisticated analyses.
The vision for the future is that registries will transform into big data solutions using multiple sources and will be more robustly integrated with electronic health records (EHRs). Both EHRs and registries will play a role.
More organizations as partners brings greater diversity, advancing better data and results. When stakeholders work together, learning curves can be accelerated toward a transformational approach to real-world evidence.
#MedicalDevices, #pctGR, @PCTGrandRounds, @Collaboratory1, @MDEpiNet_ppp