In case you missed the May 1 keynote address by Robert M. Califf, MD, MACC, you can now listen to the recorded webinar and Q&A. Dr. Califf, head of strategy and policy for Verily Life Sciences and Google Health, kicked off the Collaboratory’s Grand Rounds workshop series, Advances at the Intersection of Digital Health, Electronic Health Records, and Pragmatic Clinical Trials.
His presentation outlined several opportunities to drive change and rebuild clinical research in the aftermath of COVID-19, including:
- Evaluate what has and has not worked in the changes that have been made in response to the crisis
- Allocate a significant part of recovery funding to transition issues in evidence generation, especially at the interface of medicine and public health
- Do everything possible to fix the “purposefulness issue”:
- Create methods for deciding the most important questions
- Reward behavior that gets important questions answered quickly
- Develop inclusive networks driven by people with the health problems of interest; increase incentives for clinicians and investigators that lead to reliable and faster evidence generation (balance financial focus with purpose); and automate mapping of EHR data beyond individual systems
“The effective use of digital information such as electronic health records, telehealth, applications, and patient-reported outcomes should free up effort to fix the human components that are holding us back.” – Dr. Robert Califf
View the full presentation for more insights from Dr. Califf.
Stay tuned for these upcoming presentations in the series:
- May 8, 2020: Real World Evidence: Contemporary Experience and Future Directions (Jacqueline Corrigan-Curay, JD, MD; Joshua C. Denny, MD, MS, FACMI; Moderator: Patrick J. Heagerty, PhD)
- May 29, 2020: Experiences From the Collaboratory PCTs (Jeffrey [Jerry] G. Jarvik, MD, MPH; Lynn DeBar, PhD; Doug Zatzick, MD; Vince Mor, PhD; Moderator: Wendy Weber, ND, PhD, MPH)
- June 26, 2020: Keys to Success in the Evolving EHRs Environment (Teresa Zayas-Cabán, PhD; George [Holt] Oliver, MD, PhD; Christopher A. Longhurst, MD, MS; Rachel Richesson, PhD, MPH; Moderator: Keith Marsolo, PhD)
- Recording June 30, Available July 7, 2020: Podcast: Summary Expert Panel Discussion (Patrick J. Heagerty, PhD; Keith Marsolo, PhD; Wendy Weber, ND, PhD, MPH; Moderator: Lesley H. Curtis, PhD)