Key considerations for the planning stage:
- What impact do you want to have after findings are published in the literature?
- What are the needs of the audiences (including patients) who will use the research findings to make decisions?
- What questions are relevant to those audiences?
- Who can be engaged as a partner from the beginning to help refine the research question, define measurable outcomes, and refine the protocol? (Slutsky 2015)
- What are your plans to assess and monitor potential barriers and contextual changes throughout the PCT?
- What trial design will enable you to best understand the effectiveness and implementation potential?
- Is the intervention designed in a way that it can be delivered in a wide variety of health care settings?
- Who is able to deliver the intervention in usual healthcare settings?
- Are specific resources needed in order to deliver the intervention on an ongoing basis?